Thursday, January 22, 2009

Transatlanticism


This album is pretty significant for me. It is my consistent January album, probably because that is when I first listened to it.


January 2004. Sophomore year of high school. I got it for my birthday.

I took art with Cronk that semester. It was probably the point in my life when I decided I was an artist. He taught me about the process of making art. That every decision is significant and meaningful. I made a shadowbox/sculpture piece that semester that I think everyone else finds hideous, but I love because I remember the process of creating it, and how much emotion and expression it holds for me.

I remember making a collage about the broken state of the world and the apathy of mainstream christianity. It involved Jim Bakker praying to a chocolate crucifix.

I also remember sketching and painting in my attic loft that winter. While Ben Gibbard sang to me, I painted bleeding hearts and silver stars.

I was thinking of posting photos of those things, but I think I'd rather you imagine them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's funny; I can remember exactly where I was, how I felt, and even how the room smelled while reading the books that have been most important in my life. That kind of thing is such a universal experience, which I think is really interesting.

You are wonderful, by the way!

Echo said...

Yes, North Carolina is coming in 4th on my list of potential locations.

It is farther from Zach, which is a huge strike.
But there is a lot of climbing, close proximity to both ocean AND mountains, closer to home, closer to Heather and you, etc.
But if things with Zach are still the way that they are 10 months from now, moving FARTHER away from him would feel like ripping off my left leg.